Sunday, July 4, 2010

Long time no blog!

Thought it was about time I updated my blog as my ears are ringing from the nagging from certain persons (begins with "L" and ends with "izzie"). This may be a long post, so brace yourselves :-)

Well, I swanned off to Portugal for a little while in May/June and because they've had such a wet winter/spring all the wildflowers were still out and it was a real pleasure to see. Just after I'd taken these pics, and been crawling about in the "mato" or scrubland, my neighbour was busy strimming all the wildflowers around her house. I accused her of being a flower killer but she pointed out it was because conditions were perfect for snakes to start breeding/hiding/lurking! Glad I didn't know that before I wandered about in my flipflops.

The weather was really weird for the time of year - either cold and windy and we were sitting about in fleeces (in June!?) or it was a heatwave. Very peculiar and I've never seen it like that in all the years we've been going there.

Even this poor "Dama de noite" or night-blooming jasmine was a bit confused - the flowers usually close up tightly during the day. Although the beautiful scent didn't arrive until night, it was very odd seeing the tiny flowers open all day long.





So, whatever the weather, a girl has to get her crochet hook out - it's the law :-)
Our lovely neighbour had been into the house and made it ready for us - we had no idea she was going to do that and I was really touched by her kindness.  She even climbed over the wall to get in because she couldn't get the gates to open.  Anyway, I thought I'd make her something to say thank you so I had a little play about and came up with a little cotton bag/pouch and a beaded bracelet.



 I got a bit carried away with the pouches after that - I think I made 6 or 7 in total although quite what I've done with the rest of them is baffling me at the moment.




Then I got the doilie bug again.  It's really strange because they're not really my cup of tea at all but I find the rhythm of the patterns really relaxing (although very frustrating sometimes and I could speed unpick in the Olympics).  Anyhow, here are a few (the last 2 are, erm, quite large to say the least!) -







And it wouldn't be the same if I didn't do at least one Diabolical Doilie while I was in Portugal, so here you go - not quite as vile as some of them but even so.....


And finally, for now, Liz pointed me in the direction of a Flickr group making African flower hexagons.  Not being one to choose the easy route to anything, I decided I'd make diddy ones (1.25mm hook and size 10 thread).  Haven't quite decided yet what to do with them - think I'll make you wait for that :-)

Right, I'm worn out after all that.  Toodlepip as Liz would say.

P.S Quite why Blogger is NOT putting pics/text where I want them, I don't know.  Anybody else having problems?


4 comments:

Lululiz said...

I don't know where to start, they are all so droolworthy!!! Right, the little pouches, I love them, I think I need one. Errmm. Cross that out, I know I need one, lol. The last one, the white one with the iddybiddy pattern is sooooo sweet!
Ah, and that bracelet, how could you give that to your neighbour, sob sob, its so beautiful, gorgeous colours!
And so to the doilies. I love doilies, intricate crocheted doilies and I am so in awe of people who can crochet them so expertly. All I can say is WOW. Oh, and WTF is that multi coloured
ermm thing doing amongst all those beauties, lolol?

Croap Queen said...

Glad you like them L. Will have to see what i can do :-)

You KNOW I just have to make a Diabolical at least once a year when I'm away. It's the law.

Emily said...

Oh My Oh MY! You do FABULOUS crochet work!

Croap Queen said...

Aww, thank you Emily! I'm nipping off to look at your blog now as I see you live in Malaysia - I spent 4 years there as a kid :-)
Jo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin